Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

In 1970, GM introduced the Chevrolet Monte Carlo as a personal luxury car. The Monte Carlo is probably best known for its popularity in the NASCAR circuit during the 80s. The Monte Carlo SS was the last rear wheel drive carbureted V-8 car made by General Motors. For the 1986 and 1987 model years, GM offered the Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupes. They are relatively rare and they were designed explicity for better aerodynamics for NASCAR racing. Only 200 Aerocoupes were made in 1986, and 6,052 in 1987.

From 1983 to 1986, Monte Carlos were built in Arlington, TX. In 1987, approximately 75% of the Montes were built in Pontiac, Michigan and the other 25% were built in Arlington, TX. In 1988, all Monte Carlos were built in Pontiac, MI.